top of page

Group

Public·73 members

Where To Buy Chinese Books Online

if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined')ez_ad_units.push([[728,90],'cantoneseforfamilies_com-box-3','ezslot_14',107,'0','0']);__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-cantoneseforfamilies_com-box-3-0');So many Cantonese speakers outside of Hong Kong are looking for Traditional Chinese books for their children. Whilst there have been a few blogposts about where to buy Chinese books, many feature both simplified and Traditional Chinese, but mostly Simplified Chinese. With Traditional Chinese, many of the bookstores featured were Taiwan- based, and many bookstores, especially those Hong Kong based, did not make it to the list.

where to buy chinese books online

(Disclaimer: I hardly order online and hence have not bought from most of them, hence you would need to use your judgement and do further research. I would highly recommend you compare cost, including shipping cost, taxes, VAT, GST etc, as well as timing of the arrival of books.). I think you can take for given that shipping costs of books from overseas are not cheap, and costs of Chinese books (or of any minority language) overseas has a premium too. Hence that would be a big consideration. Some people prefer to buy books in bulk to spread out the shipping costs, some prefer to buy second hand, some lug back cartons of books every overseas trip and some asks family and friends to ship by sea.

Check out these other blogposts on where to buy Chinese books (external links). Some of these have helped me compile my list, especially of the lesser known bookstores. Some also have a more in-depth description of certain bookstores, with the bloggers have sharing their experience of purchasing from some of the bookstores.

China is the largest publisher of books, magazines, and newspapers in the world by volume. Chinese authors won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2000 and 2012. And as of September 2020, overseas readers of online Chinese literature exceeded 31.9 million people. So as readers, we really have no excuse for not reading Chinese literature in translation.

Chinese literature is increasingly available in English translation. The online platform, Webnovel, has uploaded more than 900 translated Chinese literary works since it was founded in 2017. And in 2005, the government began to sponsor translations of government-approved Chinese works, hoping to increase the number of books making it into the global literary world.

Where can I buy Chinese books?After consulting a few book-loving mamas and thanks to the wonderful IG community, I came to know of Once Upon A Book Store (thanks Sylvia for introducing!), which features a specially curated collection of Chinese books for the little humans. Their online store is in English, which will help many English speaking parents to navigate through their recommendations. If you do not know where to start or which titles to get, let them know the age(s) and interests of the child(ren) you are buying the books for and they will send you a list of recommendations for you to take your pick! Books are nicely bubble wrapped for delivery and they offer free courier for purchases above S$60.

Recently, 6,786 volumes of digitized ancient Chinese books were launched online by the National Center for Preservation and Conservation of Ancient Books at the National Library of China (NLC) and five other institutions, bringing the total number of digitized ancient books available online to 130,000.

Thanks to active collection efforts by Chinese studies faculty and the library from 1902 when the Chinese Department and Chinese Library were established, Chinese-language rare books and special collection are very rich, ranging from oracle bones, jade book, paintings, manuscripts, genealogies, local histories, family histories, legal history to personal and organizational archives. Materials and documents on Qing and modern China on paper format account for a very significant portion of the collections. A great number of materials are unique items held nowhere but at the library.

Users often asked for Columbia's print catalog, bibliography or title list of Chinese rare books and special collections. Such a general catalog has not been compiled due to a variety of reasons. Thus, the online catalogs such as CLIO and Worldcat should be used, especially for updated information of rare books and special collections. Also as mentioned above, Chinese Ancient Books Union Catalog 中文古籍聯合目錄 may be used. 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...
Group Page: Groups_SingleGroup
bottom of page